Thursday, February 19, 2015

Grumman F9F Panther

Another addition to my Korean War aircraft collection




Undercoated on sprue. I used my last remaining pilot figure, which was among a few that were sent to me from Portugal a few years ago



Holes drilled out to accommodate the ordinance. As with all my aircraft kits, modeled undercarriage down   



The colours are Vallejo, French Horizon Blue with several coats of a dark blue wash gradually added





The kit comes with a choice of decals, both from carrier aircraft dating from 1951. It also had a choice of bombs, rockets or a mixture of both, I went with bombs which research suggested was more common, this being primarily a fighter bomber



Even taking my time and using luke-warm water I still had problems with the decals, and tried to touch them up with paint where I could



This was an excellent kit to build, well engineered and zero flash; highly recommended.


19 comments:

  1. Great looking plane Al. Difference between an Airforce pilot and a Navy pilot?...The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore!
    Cheers
    Col

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the Cocoon Bar on Clarke's Quay complete with opium beds is mate? They'd pick marines before pilots I'm sure :)

      Delete
  2. Al
    I love these early jets. Have been hunting for Hobby Boss kits on Nick G's recommendation, but have yet to find any. More stringent online search required obviously.

    Great work, love the paint effect with the washes.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree wit Nick mate, excellent kits to be sure

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. What a nice 'plane! And one I don't have - in any scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like that. An oft overlooked plane from an oft overlooked conflict but you have done it proud.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks lads, really enjoyed making this model

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your decals Al! Dog bowl fresh I wonder?

    Good job mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol mate, to be fair, I only used the dog's water once :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent Al. Need more pilot figures??? nice to see they were put to good use... Cheers..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jao. Yes, would appreciate a few more if you have some to spare. Anything you need yourself?

      Delete
    2. Al I will see what I have stashed away... Has for my needs I can't thing of anything right now... cheers

      Delete
    3. Thanks mate, I live in Australia now so hopefully the postage will be a bit cheaper :)

      Delete
  9. A fine model.
    these early jet fighters has style ...
    My first Aurora series jet fighter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet job here Al
    I think it one of your post-WWII best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sweet job here Al
    I think it one of your post-WWII best!

    ReplyDelete